Friday 5 November 2010

George Orwell - The road to Wigan Pier

16th October - ??? November
Dipping in and out of this in between other books when I run out and can't get to the library. Heard a programme on Radio 4 about how poverty has been written about over the years and this was given as a great example - one of those that I thought I should read because it is a classic in its own way. Actually it is really interesting, all the more so because a lot of the mining and mill towns he writes about are in Yorkshire and Lancashire and the description of the back to back slums and the working conditions the miners endure make your realise just how easy life is now, certainly for most of us and I would imagine even the very worst off are living in better conditions than the people in Wigan at the time he was writing. This has to go back to the library on the 12th so its unlikely I will finish it, not least because I have just started a weighty tome that is going to take some serious reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment